PRINCETON, N.J., March 2, 2015 – Heartland Payment Systems (NYSE: HPY), one of the nation’s largest payment processors, today announced it has acquired privately held Payroll 1, a provider of comprehensive payroll and tax filing products and services for employers in diverse industries throughout the United States. Established in 1986, Payroll 1 helps employers with their payroll essentials including complete, prompt and accurate data entry; payroll reports and tax returns; online access to human resources data; employee payment options; payroll tax services; and various integration options. Headquartered in Birmingham, Mich., Payroll 1 also provides comprehensive reporting solutions.
- With this acquisition of Payroll 1, Heartland advances its strategy of growing its payroll processing segment. Previously, the company acquired Ovation Payroll in December, 2012 and will continue seeking profitable acquisitions to support its strategy.
- Heartland’s payroll processing base will now exceed 32,500 customers and operate in all 50 U.S. states.
- Heartland will retain all Payroll 1 employees and they will join Heartland’s hospitality business group led by David Gilbert, president.
- Heartland offers complete, customizable payroll processing solutions, all-inclusive pricing guaranteed for three years, U.S.-based payroll specialists, 100 percent web-based solutions for anytime, anywhere management, an easy-to-use employee self-service portal and a paperless solution with standard direct deposit and prepaid card options.
- Preston Todd Advisors served as advisors to Heartland.
- Robert O. Carr, chairman and CEO, Heartland “The acquisition of Payroll 1 reinforces Heartland’s commitment to providing our customers with one of the industry’s broadest set of payment processing solutions that are effective, transparent and honest. Integrating Payroll 1 into the Heartland organization allows us to gain operational synergies, materially grow our payroll footprint, and look to continue our leadership in exceeding our customers’ requirement of superior services and products.”
- David Gilbert, hospitality group and payroll president, Heartland “Payroll 1 is an important acquisition and part of our continued expansion of Heartland’s footprint in the payroll services marketplace. The Payroll 1 organization brings to us accomplished payroll operators, a seasoned payroll sales team and additional technology that we will be able to utilize in the future. Payroll 1’s brand represents a best of class payroll provider and they will merge in nicely with our dedicated service model and rapid expansion plans. We welcome Elaine, Chip Dawson, Peter Hanley and the entire staff into our Heartland family and look forward to continuing our mission together.”
- Elaine Kelly, senior vice president, Heartland-Payroll 1 “The future of Payroll 1 is now backed by the strength of Heartland’s outstanding products and services, allowing us to better serve our existing customers while enhancing Heartland’s offerings to the marketplace. We are excited to be part of such a dynamic organization and look forward to adding to the future expansion of Heartland.”
Heartland Payment Systems, Inc. (NYSE: HPY), one of the largest payment processors in the United States, delivers credit/debit/prepaid card processing and security technology through Heartland Secure™ and its comprehensive Heartland breach warranty. Heartland also offers point of sale, mobile commerce, e-Commerce, marketing solutions, payroll solutions, and related business solutions and services to more than 300,000 business and educational locations nationwide. Heartland Commerce has more than 90,000 customer locations using its Heartland commerce software.
A FORTUNE 1000 company, Heartland is the founding supporter of the Merchant Bill of Rights, a public advocacy initiative that educates merchants about fair credit and debit card processing practices. Heartland also established the Sales Professional Bill of Rights to advocate for the rights of sales professionals everywhere.